Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Our Resolutions

While we were busy eating pizza on New Years Eve I asked the kids if they knew what a resolution was. Neither of them had heard the term so I explained a little about what a resolution was and what types of resolutions people make every year. I could tell that they were intrigued with the idea and when I suggested that they come up with a resolution for this year they were both eager. 

After a few minutes of thinking this is what they decided:

Dakota: be kind to other more and be nice to the earth

Harper: fight less with Dakota, try to keep my hands to myself'

We talked about ways in which they could be successful keeping those goals and then they wanted to know if Tony and I were going to make resolutions. We don't always make resolutions but I think it's always a little fun to set some sort of goal and see how things pan out. Tony said he already knew what his was and since I'd been thinking about the whole thing for a few days I knew mine as well.

Tony: to say goodnight and I Love You every night, no matter what

Me: to spend at least one hour of one on one time with each family member (living at this address) per month. (Zoe's work schedule/distance makes this kind of resolution really hard, but maybe...?)

Landon decided he wasn't making a resolution this year because he said he never follows through. I don't know if he knows that 99% of us don't actually make it but it's still fun to try! 

I actually kind of stumbled upon my idea when Dakota was at a girl scout event all day one day last week and Harper said his favorite days were ones where just myself or Tony was home with him. He said he liked having our full attention and not having to share us with Dakota. We do spend a huge amount of time together as a family but one on one time is extremely rare. Tony does get a bit more time with Harper since I take Dakota to dance and girl scouts but it isn't too often that I have alone time with him and usually if I'm with him, Dakota is there too. 

So, that said, I am going to make an effort to spend at least one hour a month with Landon, Harper, Dakota and Tony, alone. (Zoe if we can make it work!) And, while none of them resolved to spend time with me, it kind of happens that they'll have to! Haha!

Yesterday, after we got home from skating, Dakota didn't want to play with her friends outside so I offered to hang out with her. She totally rejected me! I mean, I offered to do all kinds of things with her like paint her nails, play with her dolls, go on a bike ride etc. and she flat out refused them all! Later on, when Harper was bored I offered to do some things with him and he too rejected my efforts. What the hell?! I told Tony it looked like my resolution wasn't going to work out but not because I didn't try, but because my kids don't wanna hang out with me! He ended up offering to take all of the kids' hours and well, he can seriously be the sweetest man alive sometimes. 

I'm gonna work on these kids though and hope that I can get them to enjoy spending time with me. I don't really have an exact idea what I'm going to do each month but I'm sure I'll think of something! 



No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...