Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Pumpkins in Disguise

The Kindergarten children were given plain white paper pumpkins to decorate over the weekend. The instructions were to disguise the pumpkin so that no one would want to carve it into a jack-o-lantern for Halloween. Dakota was having a hard time coming up with an idea so I suggested we make it look like a witch since that is how she'll be dressing up this year. She liked my idea and we set to work.

I helped her mark off the top portion of the pumpkin so that it could be the witches hat and helped her color in the green area for the face. She cut out and colored the eyes and came up with the purple hair idea. I taught her how to crimp the paper to add a little dimension. Tony cut out and shaped the nose and then Dakota asked me to draw the smile. We cut out a little white tooth and Dakota thought it would look better if the tooth was black, so she took care of that.

Tony reminded her that she needed to write her name on her work and for some reason she thought to write it right across the witches nose and cheek! Tony said it might be better to write her name on the back and she did that as well. She tried to scribble out her name on the front but I told her not to worry because we would just pretend they were warts.


I volunteered for a little bit in Dakota's class yesterday and I got to play a number game with them while I was there. I have to say, I love kindergarten aged kids! They are so darned cute! Of course, Dakota was thrilled that I was there and couldn't wait for me to meet her friends. She did great with me being in the classroom and didn't cry or act silly when I left which was nice.


As I was leaving I noticed all the other pumpkins in disguise hanging above the lockers and some of them were really great! I just had to take pictures!



No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...