Sunday, March 7, 2010

Entomology anyone?

Sometime last week I came across a notice that there would be a bug exhibit at a hotel in Annapolis today. I don’t know where I saw it but I put it on our calendar should we need something to do between 1 and 5 pm today.

Good thing I did because we had 3 showings this afternoon, so we made a trip out to Annapolis for something to do. I had no idea what to expect since I’ve never been to a bug exhibit, but I figured if we didn’t like it we could always go find something else to do.

We ended up spending nearly 45 minutes looking at all different species of butterflies, scorpions, cockroaches, beetles, and many other weird looking creatures.

IMG_9447 IMG_9449IMG_9450IMG_9451 IMG_9464IMG_9465

I had no idea there were so many kinds of butterflies! There were just tons of them on display, and this is just a small sampling of what we saw. (It was hard to get some of these without the blur, it was very crowded and everything was behind plastic or glass.)

 IMG_9452

This is one of the many cases of beetles…I sure would hate to find any of these in my yard or house! Yuck! We did think they were pretty cool looking though.

IMG_9456

At one of the other stations Landon got to make a painting. Actually, this Madagascar Hissing Cockroach was dipped in paint and then walked all over this sheet of paper…interesting, no?

IMG_9459

Here, Landon is holding one of the cockroaches, though it wasn’t one that had been painting.

IMG_9461

And, since he could hold a cockroach, he figured he could handle a walking stick as well. I even got brave and held the walking stick but Tony wasn’t quick enough with the camera so I don’t have proof. You’ll just have to take my word for it!

The exhibit turned out to be pretty cool and I’m glad we went. I don’t think we’ll be adopting any as pets, but just seeing all of those different kinds of insects was enlightening.

1 comment:

ValAnn said...

My kids love that kind of stuff. We have only missed one year of the "Reptile Week" at the zoo, and maybe one year of the "Butterfly" exhibit at our local gardens. I love that they are now hitting their teen years, and the stuff they loved at 4 - 5 years old, is still "fun" for them.

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...