Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Friday Night Skate

2013-02-19 001 2013-02-16 005

(No, Landon isn’t reverting to infancy…it’s just “cool” to have a flashing binky when you’re 11 and at the skating rink!)

Now that Landon’s in middle school, going skating on Friday night has become a big deal. He’s only been twice so far, but he’s already anticipating going this weekend as well.

The first time he went I just drove him and he met a few friends there. I told him I’d rather he have someone to actually go in with the next time because then I knew for sure that there was going to be someone there for him to hang out with. (The last thing he wants me to do is go in with him to make sure his friends are there!) So, this past Friday his friend came over to the house and I drove them both. Since it was going to be late when I picked them up, we decided it might be best to do a sleepover which is very rare for him. Landon was so excited for his friend to come over and to go skating he nearly had a heart attack when I told him we were going to go out to dinner first!

Once his friend got here we didn’t see or hear from them until it was time to go to the rink. As we were leaving, Landon was so excited he forgot to put his shoes on. Like, seriously forgot his shoes. I told him to run back in and put them on, but he protested saying that he wasn’t going to need them because he was going to be skating anyways…I told him we weren’t leaving until shoes were on his feet. He got the point.

Landon’s friend is a bit nervous when it comes to crowds, and his mom had warned me that this was a pretty big step for him when it came to going out and doing something. I was still quite taken aback when he started saying “I’m so nervous, I’m so nervous” as I was dropping them off and giving them instructions. I was worried about leaving him! I hesitated, but assured his friend that everything would be ok and that if he was really unhappy they could call and I’d pick them up. He looked a little less worried and found the courage to go in. I was proud of him…I imagine that could be pretty tough for some people.

When the phone rang at 9:55pm, it was Landon. It wasn’t because his friend wanted to come home early either…they were begging to stay later! (The skate session is from 8-11pm, pretty late for a couple 6th graders if you ask me! So, before Landon even invited anyone over we agreed that we’d pick them up at 10pm.) I told him no way and that his dad was probably already sitting outside waiting on them. Luckily, he didn’t put up much of a fight, not that he had a chance anyways. :)

The two boys said they had a great time and in the same breath asked if they could repeat it the following weekend. I love that Landon’s found something fun to do with his friends on the weekend…now I’ve just gotta make sure he keeps his grades up so he can keep having fun.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...