Monday, May 5, 2014

Sports Camp: Tennis

Today was Harper’s last day of sports camp. I wasn’t sure how this was going to go over when we started it, but I’m so glad that we did it because he really enjoyed himself. There were a few hiccups along the way, but really, that’s just how life goes with preschoolers, or anyone really.

They had them start out with a game where they pretended to be flamingoes. They had to run until the coach yelled stop and then they all had to stand on one leg. Not much of a game, really, but they sure enjoyed it! After that they did some hopping. They hopped with two feet down a series of hula hoops that were in a line on the floor.

After hopping with two feet, the all tried hopping the same path with only one foot. That was much more challenging!

I loved how Harper kept starting over and over again. He just knew something wasn’t working right so he’d try again and again until he finally got it. It’s too bad I wasn’t sitting on the other side of the gym for better video, but I didn’t want to move because I didn’t want him to get distracted or anxious if he saw me.

The next thing they tried to do was to keep their ball on the racquet while they walked around. Harper did pretty well with that, only dropping it once or twice. The best part though was when the coach wanted them to put the ball on the ground and hit it with the racquet that way! They loved that part the best I think! After they had their fill of that they tried to drop the ball above the racquet and try to make it pop up into the air.

Once the basics were covered, the next step was trying to hit the ball over the net. Harper was too worried about chasing down all the balls as the other kids hit them that he only hit the ball over the net once. He really had a good time today though and wasn’t ready for it to be over when it ended.

They got their stamps at the end of class like they usually do, but Harper was last again because he could NOT decided which stamp he wanted. I’ll tell you, being three is tough when it comes to choosing which special stamp you’re going to sport on your hand for the rest of the day. After quite a bit of thought he finally chose a basketball stamp. He was really happy with it, so I guess he decided on the right one!

It’s hard to believe this has already come to an end. I’m really glad we stuck with it and I think we’ll probably do it again in the fall once school’s back in session.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...