Friday, July 25, 2014

Good-Bye Savannah, Hello Florida!

On Friday morning, we all got up, had breakfast and then walked back downtown for our carriage ride through the city. We ended up on a full tour and boy was it hot! We were all crammed into the front row of the carriage and Tony and I had either Dakota or Harper on our lap the entire time. I didn’t get many pictures as I was busy making sure the kids didn’t fall overboard.

Our horses were named Guinness and Jameson. They were perfectly trained and it was amazing how well they followed the directions of our driver! We couldn’t help but feel sorry for them though since it was so hot and they had to drag all of us around through the city.




Our driver was able to share quite a bit of history about the city as we rode along and it made us all want to know more. It’s too bad we weren’t staying for a few days instead of only overnight.


Aside from all the history, we learned that Spanish moss is neither Spanish nor moss! It’s a spore that floats around and attaches to the trees! I thought it looked really cool hanging off of the branches but our guide told us not to touch it because it’s full of chiggers. Ouch!


A large part of Forrest Gump was filmed in Savannah, and the bench that Tom Hanks sits on in the movie was originally where that sign (Chippewa Square) is in the photo above. They were going to leave it there but when people kept writing on it, they moved it. Another tidbit about the bench; from my photo you can see which way we are traveling on the horses, but for the movie they had traffic routed the opposite direction just so that when the bus pulled up, the doors would open right in front of Forrest. :) Bet you didn’t know that!

***At some point during the morning, Tony asked me if I’d remembered the tickets for Disney and SeaWorld. My heart sank when I realized that I hadn’t, and neither had he. We’d been so caught up in remembering everything that we forgot the darn tickets! <facepalm> We ended up calling his mom who in turn went to our house and got the tickets and would later overnight them to us. She sent them on Saturday and we had them here a the resort on Monday morning. What a panic we were in when we realized our mistake! Thank goodness for Mema! She sure came to the rescue!***

After the tour it was time for us to head back to our room and pack up. We were out of the hotel by 11am and after a quick lunch at Sonic, we were on the road to Florida!



It took us a good 5 hours to finally get to our hotel and man were we ready to get out of the van. As soon as Tony parked, we all jumped out and ran around outside while he got our keys and passes and whatnot.


When we finally went inside to see what was taking Tony so long we spotted a couple of characters walking around greeting the kids. Dakota was very interested in them while Harper was indifferent. She really wanted to look at them, but she didn’t want to touch them or take a picture…even when I offered to be in the picture with her!


As soon as the van was unloaded, we grabbed our bathing suits and headed to the pool.


Dakota saw Landon do a handstand and this was her version:



It was a nice end to a LONG trip down here! Now we’re ready to have some fun!

No comments:

Water Balloons

When my kids told me they didn't know what to do with themselves yesterday I suggested they go outside and play with the water balloons....