Thursday, March 22, 2018

Spring Snow Day

We welcomed Spring this year with dropping temperatures and a snowstorm. It was pretty much the only REAL snow we had this winter so while I wasn't excited about it, I didn't exactly hate it either. The kids were actually unhappy about it and said they'd rather have warm weather and school than a day off with snow! I was surprised, but I definitely get it. We made the most of the day though and kept ourselves busy, in and out of the house. The kids began their morning (early as usual) doing art. They both made masks but I only got a picture of Harper's for some reason; it's totally adorable!


Harper also made a giraffe with our recycling trash...you're probably going to have to use your imagination a bit to see it...


I still have a bunch of rocks from our Kindness Rocks project we did awhile ago so Tony and I took a little time and put a base coat of paint on several so that we all could paint designs on them later in the afternoon. 


After lunch, and while the rocks were drying, we went outside. 







Once Tony and I had cleared the sidewalk and driveway Tony got to work building a small sled hill in the front yard. The kids were super impatient but he did the best he could with the 45 seconds they allowed him to work on it:


Dakota really wanted to build a snowman but since it IS technically spring, we made a spring snowman. 




We were just sitting down to start painting rocks when I looked out the window and realized that one of the neighbors pine trees had fallen and was hanging over the fence and laying on top of a couple of our small trees. Tony immediately went outside and started chopping it up. He wasn't out there long before the neighbors came over to give him a hand taking that massive tree down. That snow was HEAVY.




While he was out there hacking away at the tree, the two kids and I sat at the table painting rocks. 




As you can see, it was a long, but productive day. The kids were pretty stir crazy despite my best efforts to keep them occupied and happy and they were ready to get back to school today. Landon, on the other hand, would like the rest of his life off of school and would rather never go back. :) I hope he realizes how close he is to that actually being the case!

*Zoe and Brandon were supposed to fly out of JFK yesterday. They were going to catch a bus up to New York and spend the night and then leave the next day but the bus was cancelled and they ended up driving up to NYC on Tuesday night instead. They got to the hotel and checked in and then found out that their flight had been cancelled. So, they spent the day roaming around the city yesterday, but only after they went and bought winter coats/hats/gloves that they hadn't brought with them for whatever reason. Living and learning...

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...