Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Rough Night at Soccer

Last Wednesday was a rough soccer practice for Dakota. (Tony was with Harper at his practice.) We got to practice about 5 minutes late because of crappy traffic and then Dakota was only out on the field for about 2 minutes when her coach noticed her knee was bleeding. (Scooter injury.) She always freaks out a little when she's bleeding so she came over to me in a panic and we ran to the van for a band-aid. I got her knee cleaned up and we headed back to the field. She was walking very slowly back out to the field and her coach yelled to her to hurry so she started running out there and tripped over her ball which broke open another boo boo on her knee. (Another scooter injury, same leg.) She was sobbing so I picked her up and put her in my chair (that I brought to SIT in while I watched her practice) and ran back to the van yet again for the first aid kit.

The band-aids in the van are pretty old so they weren't doing a great job of sticking but I did my best while she composed herself. When she'd had enough hugs and encouragement she headed back out on the field to pick up where she left off. I thought I'd finally get to sit for a bit when I noticed that she had spilled nearly all of her water on my seat. Shit. So, I went back to the van a third time to grab a big blanket I had left in there from a previous soccer game. I put the blanket out on the grass and immediately realized it was a bad idea because the grass was very tall and buggy and bumpy. So, I folded the blanket several times, put it on my seat and then sat to watch the last 15-20 minutes of her practice.


She did great the rest of her practice and girlfriend is tough! She is willing to fight for the ball and never gives up which I think is just awesome! She doesn't let any of the boys intimidate her and really gives it her all when she's out there.


The end of practice came and when I stood up I realized that even though I had folded the blanket several times, the water had still managed to soak my pants. And, the way it soaked my pants looked like I had peed myself. It was terrible. Options were pretty limited. I could A) walk to the van with all the stuff and hope no one noticed B) wait until everyone else left or C) tie the blanket around my waist and walk very slowly to the van. I went with C. It was a miserable, long walk to the van but I managed to get there with all of our stuff (chair, purse, first aid kit, kid, water bottle, ball, blanket) in one trip.

I'm really hoping that our next soccer practice will be less eventful.


No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...