Friday, October 12, 2018

Here Comes Halloween!

I feel like we are a pretty busy family all the time but fall feels absolutely crazy. I mean, we start with school, add in gymnastics, dance, robotics and scouts, then top everything off with birthday parties, appointments and events and my calendar is chock full. It's fun a lot of the time but there are moments when I'm just flat out overwhelmed. I keep a calendar on my phone, set reminders and also use a planner to keep our lives straight and somehow things still slip through the cracks. 

One thing I do really love about this time of year though are the holiday's! I enjoy switching things up in the house to reflect whichever holiday/season is coming up and although I'm a little later than usual, my house is finally looking like Halloween is on the way. 

Instead of my typical inspirational/motivational letter board I went with the (sad) truth...I'm a big scaredy cat, so it works. 



I actually ended up getting rid of a bunch of old decor stuff I had because I was tired of it and just don't have it in me to do all the work of changing everything around seasonally but I still have quite a bit and decorated a few areas inside. This is our entry way and as you can see, it isn't much but you know the season just by looking...and if you aren't sure of the date, you can just check out my cute little old fashioned calendar. Tony was a bit exasperated at the thought of having to MANUALLY change the date on it every day but I thought it was cute...and so far, someone has managed to remember to change the date every day. (Usually it's me, and sometimes it's at 5 pm that I remember, but it does change!) I really like the paper bats on the mirror this year too! 


This buffet is in our (never used) formal dining room. The buffet itself is one my neighbor didn't have room for anymore and offered to me. I swooped it right up and have had it for going on maybe 15 years now! It could really use some tlc, but it doesn't look bad for the rough life it's lived! Everything in the photo is old aside from the head in the jar that Tony made and the runner that I picked up at Michaels




This is the bench that sits along the wall in our living room. My mom gave it to me when she got tired of it in her house and it's sat right in this very spot ever since. I store a few blankets and pillows inside of it and usually there is a pile of kid junk on the top, but I made sure to clean it up nice before I took the picture! I had so many bats to use and thought they looked cool along with my orange and black wreath. I've had that thing for quite a few years now and it's held up pretty good!


Outside I have my scarecrows from last year (I saved them because they weren't gross), some ghosts I grabbed at Michaels, spiderwebs and pumpkins. There are lights around my front door and I found an old spiderweb string of lights so we threw them over the flowers out front. I don't have any great photo's when it's lit up at night but I'll try to get some before we take them down...if I remember. 




The kids finally decided on Halloween costumes for this year as well. Harper is going to be Slenderman while Dakota chose Violet from The Incredibles. Harper knew he wanted to be something scary this year and he and I went up and back about what he was allowed to be. I wasn't about to let him dress up as Jason from Friday the 13th (because he doesn't even know what it is and I don't even know how he knows about it) and I also nixed anything with a giant over the head mask. So, that limited his scary options but he found the Slenderman thing and we agreed that it would work. Dakota had absolutely no idea what she wanted to be and we walked up and down the aisles for a very long time before she finally settled on Violet. Landon plans to dress up to give out candy like he normally does but hasn't come up with any costume ideas yet. He likes to dress up as something creepy so he can scare the crap out of people so I'm sure whatever he chooses it'll be along those lines. 


No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...