Monday, March 5, 2012

Little Dude’s Sick

Today started out as any normal Monday does. Got up (reluctantly), said bye to Zoe as she headed out, saw Landon off to the bus and then back home to find 1,000 ways to entertain Harper/clean up from the weekend craziness/enjoy my stint as a stay-at-home mom.

All was well until about 11am when Harper started crying for no reason. I asked him what was wrong, but he just looked at me with those sad eyes, so I just scooped him up on my lap and held him till he stopped. It was only a matter of minutes (like, 2. maybe.) and he was asleep in my arms.

I love to hold a sleeping baby, but I knew this meant he was sick.


It was at that moment that I knew he was sick. Again. The poor guy has been running a fever off and on since Friday. He was fine during the day Friday, but when he woke up from his nap, he had a fever and was miserable. He slept pretty good that night and woke up with a low fever (99ish) but was pretty much fine the whole day. We even decided to go to my mother-in-laws for dinner since he’d been playing and acting normally all day. Sunday was even better. No fever at all, and happy all day.

So, I was a little surprised that he was running a fever again this morning. I decided since it had been a few days of this weirdness, I’d go ahead and get him in to see the doctor. The best appointment I could get was at 2:20 and that kind of sucked because that was during his regular nap time. It ended up not mattering anyways because he didn’t really nap. He fell asleep in my arms and when I put him in his bed, he immediately woke up and wanted me to hold him. I ended up giving him some Tylenol and bringing him back downstairs with me. I held him for the longest time while he slept, probably 45 minutes before I put him on the couch so that I could go get our stuff ready for our doctor appointment.

Crashed out on the couch. Not the norm.


We got to the doc’s office around 2:10pm and after checking in, we sat in the waiting room with several other coughing, miserable kids until we were finally call back, around 2:30pm. The nurse checked his weight (26.2 lbs. slightly less than his 18 month check-up) and asked me a few questions and then told us the nurse practitioner would be right in. Thirty-five minutes later, the nurse practitioner finally paid us a visit.

After explaining all his symptoms (fever/runny nose/rubbing his neck and back) and the weekend’s history, she decided to do a throat culture to check for strep (Zoe had just had it the week before) as well as check his ears for infection. Getting a strep culture from an 18 month old is interesting, to say the least.  The rapid strep test came back negative, but we’ll have to wait until at least tomorrow to find out what the regular test results are. I’m hoping he does not have strep because I’ll feel so bad for not getting him to the doctor sooner. I’ve had strep a few times and that is just plain miserable!!

Hoping for a non-sick happy baby tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Water Balloons

When my kids told me they didn't know what to do with themselves yesterday I suggested they go outside and play with the water balloons....