Thursday, April 26, 2012

Journey into Single Motherhood

My husband is away for work for the next few days, so I thought I’d do my best to keep him in the loop by using my blog as an open journal to him. Of course, you can read it too, but it’s probably going to be a bit…stale. Smile 

Today started off with a bang. We all had to be ready to roll as soon as Landon hopped on his bus this morning because I had to get Tony to the airport in time to check in for his 10:15am flight. It’s been years since any of us have flown, so we weren’t sure how long he’d need to get in and get through security, so getting him there by 8:30 seemed like a good plan.

Of course, since we were in a hurry, Landon’s bus was running late and I ended up having to leave him with a neighbor so that we could get moving. I would have let him just hang out at the bus stop, but it was raining pretty steadily and I didn’t want him to have to endure an entire day of school in soggy clothes.

Tony and I aren’t accustomed to being apart for what is going to seem an eternity (6 days) so saying good-bye at the airport was tough. We made it super quick though and neither of us was bawling, so it was a success. I think Harper was a little jealous that da-da went on the plane without him though because he kept saying “Har-Har. Plane.” Poor guy just didn’t understand why he didn’t get to go too.

Since Tony’s gone and I’ll be required to do the cooking (scary!!) I decided we’d make a run for the grocery store since we were already out and about. Like I said, it was raining pretty heavily this morning, so it took me nearly 30 minutes to get from the airport to the grocery store; a trip that normally would take half that time. But, me and the little dude got to the store and got the few things I had on my list and were on our way back home just in time to dump it all off and head to Rolly Pollies.

By the time I ran all the groceries into the house and tossed the cold stuff into the fridge/freezer, Harper had had it with all the nonsense of our morning. He started to cry on the way to Rolly Pollies so I had to constantly talk to him on the way there. I don’t remember what I was talking about, but it was the only thing I could do to keep him from having a full blown meltdown in the car. Luckily for us, the rain slowed considerably and our trip was a typical 15 minute drive. Unlucky for us, it meant we were there nearly 30 minutes early. So, we did what we had to, and played with every single button in the van until it was time to head in to class.

Our time at the gym was enjoyable as usual and Harper is more confident week after week. He loves the trampoline and the different climbing structures, but is very afraid of the moon bounce. The first class we went to, he wanted to go to the top of the moon bounce and slide down, but there was an older man ahead of us with his granddaughter and they couldn’t get up the steps to the slide (they kept falling back down, nearly killing everyone behind them) and they nearly scared Harper to death. So, he won’t even go near the thing now. It’s fine by me really because the last thing I want to do this far along in my pregnancy is get into a moon bounce. I think Harper’s very favorite thing is the stamp they get at the very end of class. He runs up to the instructor and sits patiently waiting for his stamps. They get one on each hand and foot, and Harper always lifts his shirt so they can put one on his tummy. If they forget the tummy, he reminds them. (This morning, when I reminded him that we were going to Rolly Pollies today, the first thing he did was pull up his shirt and point to his tummy!)

Tony has texted me to let me know that he’s made it to Atlanta safely and he’s now on his flight to Pensacola where he will then rent a car to drive to Mobile. It’s going to be a long day for him, and I’ll be happy to hear that he’s safe and sound in his hotel tonight.

As for me, I’ve got a million and one things to do for the day, so I better get off here and get started…Harper will be up from his nap in 30 minutes, Zoe will be home in 10 minutes and then we’ll be going to get Landon off the bus….just like always.

No comments:

Library Adventures and Casting our Ballot

We didn't have any exciting plans for the day today so it was a good day to get some errands taken care of. While the kids played Minecr...