Thursday, September 6, 2012

She Failed

Today was Dakota’s third hearing screening. The first two screenings didn’t go over very well, and this one wasn’t really any better. The doctor was awesome and the equipment was working fine, but Dakota was awake the whole time and not exactly happy about the whole process.

The doctor did the testing to the best of her ability, but the results weren’t good. Dakota failed the screening in both ears. I was surprised, but honestly, I almost expected those results. (Dakota was eating during the test and the sound of her eating messed up the test numerous times. But, even when she was perfectly quiet the results weren’t stellar.)

Our next step is to have a full blown hearing test done at St. Agnes hospital. I’m absolutely dreading that appointment and I haven’t even scheduled it yet. 

The doctor tried to reassure us that her screening didn’t mean a whole lot and that we shouldn’t worry about these results. But, I can’t help but worry. I realize that there are many things in this world that are far worse than hearing loss and that it is manageable, but I’m still so incredibly concerned. I guess it’s just the fear of the unknown at this point…it’s an awful feeling.

I have to call and schedule her appointment tomorrow, and I’m just going to hope that we won’t have to wait a very long time to see someone. 

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...