Saturday, September 8, 2012

Battle of the Boop Boops

I mentioned before that Harper’s binky’s (boop boops) have been breaking lately. (I’ve been clipping the tips off so that they won’t work.) Two of them broke and we had to throw them away and then the very next afternoon (Thursday 9/6) at naptime, Harper forgot to ask me for one. I realized he didn’t have one, but somehow, he didn’t…so, I just put him down for his nap and left and he fell asleep. Just like that.

So, I decided that we were going to go ahead with operation no binky from that point on. I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal since he’d completely forgotten about it for naptime.

I was wrong.

That same night he was up for an hour and a half asking for his binky. He’d cry enough for us to go in his room and we’d have to talk about it and soothe him, and then we’d leave and he’d start right back up. I ended up rocking him to sleep that night, which I didn’t mind, but I just kept thinking how I didn’t want to get rid of one crutch while inventing another. He slept through that night just fine and woke up as happy as usual the next morning.

There was no talk of the binky the entire day Friday, and then nap came around and he was upset again. And, just as I had the night before, I rocked him to sleep. Landon had his first soccer game on Friday night, so we ended up being out pretty late that night and when we got home Harper was exhausted. I thought we may have a bit of a struggle on our hands without the binky because he was so tired, but luckily, he was just so tired he went right to sleep without any crying at all.

Again I thought we might be in the clear.

Again, I was wrong.

Today’s naptime wasn’t too much of a struggle but it did take him awhile to go to sleep. He was pretty tired though so he didn’t cry and carry on, he just kind of talked to himself until he finally passed out. Then tonight at bedtime he started asking about his boop boop, but I just reminded him that they were broken and gone and he seemed to be okay with it…until he was in bed. Then he started crying and I went in to rock him for a few minutes, but this time I didn’t let him go to sleep on me. I really need him to continue to put himself to sleep like he always has. Tony ended up going in after I did, and eventually he did get to sleep. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is just going to keep getting easier. That is how this works, right?

I feel terrible taking away his beloved binky, but I know it’s the best thing for him. It’s strange to see him go to sleep without it too. The times I’ve rocked him to sleep I’ve noticed how much older he looks without that binky and it’s sad. I’m really happy he’s growing up into such a wonderful little boy, but at the same time, I hate to leave all those baby days behind.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...