Thursday, January 10, 2013

Caffeine Crash

It’s been a rough day. I feel like I say that a lot lately. I guess being home all day with two littles will do that to you.

A couple of days ago I decided I was going to challenge myself to give up sweet tea. I warned Landon too, since he is the other big tea drinker in our house and he was not thrilled with my big idea. Honestly, I hate to give it up because I LOVE it, but I’ve really got to cut some of that sugar out of my diet. So, once we drank what was in the fridge, I didn’t make more.

Today was officially my first day without any of my beloved tea. I figured I’d get a caffeine headache, and boy did I ever. It didn’t hit me until about 3pm, but once I got that headache it was all I could do to even keep my eyes open. I got so tired and even asked Tony to watch the babies while I took a half hour nap. He was sweet and took them outside and I barely even remember getting into bed…that’s how quickly I was out. I woke up groggy but the nap was enough to get me through the rest of the evening.

The weirdest part about this whole thing is that I don’t really think about or crave it in any way. I’ve been drinking water all day and I had a little chocolate when I felt like having something sweet. That was it. I thought for sure I’d be crying by 10am for my tea fix, but nothing happened. I just kept refilling my water glass and kept on with the day. Besides the headache there wasn’t even any indication anything had happened.

I told Tony that I thought giving up tea was going to be equivalent to quitting smoking all those years ago. It wasn’t. Not even in the slightest way. Maybe I’m jumping the gun on all this, maybe tomorrow I’ll be lying in a heap begging for mercy when Tony gets home, but somehow, I don’t think so. Somehow, I think I made this into more of a struggle than it’s really going to be. How long I’ll be able to go without is going to be interesting. My hope is to go without for awhile, and then if I end up wanting it again, I’ll try to make it with less sugar than before since cutting out my sugar intake is really what my focus is. Those calories per day are just not worth it.

So, wish me luck! 

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...