Saturday, August 30, 2014

Moving Day

Today was moving day for Zoe and Brandon. We knew it was coming and before we knew it, it was here.

Unfortunately the move didn’t go as I’d hoped. I always thought that I’d help Zoe pack her things in boxes, help load them onto a truck and then follow her to her new apartment to help her get things set up. We’d figure out where things fit best, how to situate the couch for the best view of the TV, I’d give her some kind of helpful tips about plates and cutlery…you know, just stuff that you figure out as you go along unless someone says “try it this way and see if it works better”.

I’d imagined being there late and ordering pizza and getting her all set and ready to go for the future. But, it didn’t work out that way at all.

Zoe and I got into a terrible argument a few days ago and things were said that were ugly. I won’t go into specifics because it’s unnecessary, but we are both wrong to some degree and both unwilling to apologize at this point. There are many times as a parent that I’ve been wrong and dealt with things poorly, and even in this instance I wasn’t great, but this time I feel like I have to stand my ground. It sucks, but I think that what I’ve told her is important and she needs to digest it and hopefully see that she was/is wrong.

I’m hoping for an apology, but I’m not holding my breath.

Maybe one day I’ll get to see Zoe’s new apartment, and maybe one day I’ll get to show her the ropes and give her the guidance that so many years of adulthood have shown me. More than anything I hope we’ll be able to communicate more effectively because life is short and life without her in it just wouldn’t be the same.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...