Thursday, March 19, 2015

Landon’s Dresser

Since we moved the big bookcase out of Landon’s room and moved his bed & dresser, I was inspired to redo his room a bit. It’s time to get rid of the little kid stuff and make his room a little more teen friendly. We emptied his wall shelves of all the old Lego creations and toys and made room for a few books and yearbooks. For now we left his old trophies, but he said he wants to take them down as well. I’d like to find something to replace the things we took down and I’m sure we will, in time.

IMG_6943

His old bed and dresser were a standard brown but since the beds been gone and now the bookcase, the only thing left that color was the dresser. I thought about painting it, but then thought maybe staining it would be a cooler idea.

I bought all the stuff to do it and knew that if I didn’t do it right away, I’d get lazy and forget about it. So, a few days ago, on a chilly, windy day, I set about sanding and staining.

IMG_6921

I chose an ebony stain because the shelves in Landon’s room are black and I thought a black dresser would go well with that. Once I got started I realized that the ebony wasn’t going to be a true black, but more of a deep dark brown. As you can see, the grooves in the wood turned more of a black while the wood stayed dark brown.

IMG_6922

I wasn’t about to stop and run to Lowes to buy new stain, so I soldiered on and finished it despite the color being off.

IMG_6923

The stain I bought was supposed to be dry in an hour, but it took many hours for it to completely dry. I had to leave it over night because even when I touched it several hours later I got a bit on my hand. The next afternoon though, I moved it back up into Landon’s room and I have to admit I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_6945

IMG_6946

I’ve officially refinished my first piece of furniture, all on my own. Granted, it was a super easy thing to do and NOTHING like the stuff my mom does! I told her that and she said it was just the beginning…haha! We’ll see.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...