Friday, June 5, 2015

Coming Home

The end of the school year is almost always a blur but this year has been exceptionally busy. In the past month I've attended three graduations: Zoe graduated from college, Harper from preschool and my nephew Jaron graduated high school. Landon is exiting middle school and only has a few weeks left, but in lieu of a ceremony they have an 8th grade dance (Landon didn't want to go.). 

I plan to write about each kids graduation because they were all such unique experiences and each one is a major milestone in their life, but first I'm going to write a little bit about my return home from South Carolina. I just got back Wednesday night and I don't want to forget what an awesome moment it was seeing my family again after a couple of days...

Originally my flight home left Charlotte, NC at 7:40 am and I'd arrive at BWI sometime around 9 am. Once I got to my parents house and realized it was an 1 1/2 hour drive from there to the airport I started to worry about making that flight home. Just to make it to the airport an hour before departure we'd have had to left their house around 5 am which meant getting up around 430 to be ready to leave...and 4:30 am sucks. I started to think maybe I should change my flight but I didn't want to mess up Tony's work schedule and any of my mother-in-laws plans since she was planning to watch my kids while Tony was at work and I at my parents. After much texting and contemplating and lost sleep I decided to change my flight to later that evening. The only other flight available left at 7:30 pm and arrived at 9 sometime that evening...so, I took it. I wasn't particularly happy about it because I knew that the little kids would be in bed sleeping when I got home, but it seemed the best option. 

After checking and rechecking to make sure my flight hadn't been delayed (I was a bit scared it would be because it was severely delayed on the trip down) my mom dropped me off at the airport where I learned my flight had been delayed by 15 minutes. Grr. 15 minutes isn't bad though so I just sucked it up and found a spot of the floor to wait...and then the delay changed to 30 minutes. I ended up getting in around 10 pm and man was I glad to get off that darned plane! 

I was so happy to see Tony but the traffic was insane so I just jumped in the van and we took off for home (he was very sweet and brought me a big cup of ice and a Diet Dr Pepper for the ride home). We had to say hi and all that as he drove towards home. When we got home the kids, with the exception of Landon, were snug in their beds. I gave Lanny a big hug and we chatted for a minute but then it was bedtime for all of us and I was exhausted. As I went upstairs I tucked Harper in and then went into Dakota's room to do the same only she was soaking wet from peeing the bed (she hasn't done that since the beginning of potty training). So, I started to change her clothes as she slept and when she woke up just a little and saw me, she gave me the sweetest sleepy smile and then stood up and jumped in my arms. She snuggled her head into my neck and gave me a few kisses as I held her and waited for Tony to finish changing her bed sheets. I told her I missed her as I tucked her back in bed and she whispered "I missed you too, mama". 

As I was getting ready for bed Tony called me into the hallway. I went down to see what was going on and as I rounded the corner to the kids' bathroom, I saw Harper. He was half asleep, going potty, but when he saw me he almost forgot what he was doing and nearly peed on the floor! I told him to finish and then he jumped up in my arms and gave me the biggest hug. I told him how happy I was to see him and how much I'd missed him and he told me he'd missed me too. I cuddled with him a few minutes and then stopped in Landon's room again to make sure he knew how much I'd missed him and was happy to see him. 

That night I slept like a baby but it was a very early wake up when Dakota came in at 6 am. She very quietly lay next to me while I pretended to sleep but every once in awhile she'd reach out and stroke my cheek or touch my neck. It wasn't long before Harper joined us and then it was only a few minutes after that when things went right back to normal. There was playing under the covers, jumping on the bed, fighting over blankets...etc. 

Going home after a trip is always nice but coming home to a family that loves you is one of the best feelings ever! 



No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...