Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Can You Hear Me Now?

Yesterday was a big day for Dakota. After much deliberation I went ahead and placed an order for her hearing aids and yesterday we went to pick them up. She was so nervous before her appointment and kept asking me what they were going to do to her ears. I explained to her that nothing was going to hurt and that it was just a tiny device that would sit in and on her ear. She said "then I won't say what, what, what all the time"? She knew what they would do, just not how they were going to do it! 


Our appointment was quite lengthy, about an hour. There is a lot to do when you first get them like, make sure they fit, make sure everything works properly and then explain everything to an anxious Mom. I'll admit that I had a bit of a lump in my throat the whole time but I sucked it up and did what I had to do for my girl. 

The minute we left the office she decided her ears were itchy and wanted them off. I let her take them off for a bit and throughout the day she'd wear them for awhile then take them out for awhile. I suspect this is going to be a long adjustment for her and we're just going to have to be really patient and go with the flow. I don't want to stress her out about them too much so for now we're just wearing them off and on and I'll try to increase the time as we go along.

It's hard to say right now if they seem to help a whole lot but I didn't have to have the volume up as loud as usual when she watched her morning cartoon, so there's that. I'll try to post updates here about how she's doing with them but I'm kinda hoping they just become a part of life that we don't have to think a whole lot about. We have an appointment with the audiologist next week to touch base so I'll definitely write if there's any news then. :) 

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...