Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Artsy Partsy, Class 2, Art & Literature

Image result for llama red pajama

Today's book choice was llama llama red pajama by Anna Dewdney. I don't know why but we didn't jump on the llama llama band wagon until about a year ago. These stories have been around awhile and I'd heard that kids really liked the books but I'd just never picked one up until about a year ago when I ordered a set from one of the kids scholastic fliers. Once I'd read them I realized we'd been missing out on some cute stories. 

The class started off with the teacher reading the story aloud and although the story is great we were focusing more on the art within the book. The kids were asked what things they noticed in the drawings. Of course they noticed mama and baby llama as well as the red pj's but once they were really paying attention to the pictures they also noticed some details like the quilt and the stuffed llama toy.

Once the story was finished the kids were each given a little felt llama cut out. It had been sewn at the edges except for an opening on the bottom. They were then given cotton batting and told to tear it up and stuff the felt llama shape.


Once the llama was stuffed they glued on some wiggly eyes and also used the glue to close the bottom of their stuffed animal.


While the glue dried the kids were given a lesson on drawing llama's. I have to say that I've never in my life seen a cuter llama than the one Dakota drew today!





After drawing the llama's it was time to make our little stuffed llama a quilt. They were given a cream rectangle of felt and quilting squares in seven colors. 


Dakota made her quilt using a pattern and it came out perfectly! While the quilt dried the kids were given a little red pajama for their stuffed llama. The pj's look more like a cape, but the kids didn't seem to mind. They were then told they could choose some stickers to decorate their llama's pj's and Dakota went with stars.




I told Dakota we could add a button to his pj's when we got home but we both forgot until after dinner when I wasn't in the mood to pull stuff out for a project so I suppose we'll finish it off tomorrow. :)




No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...