Saturday, June 24, 2017

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to Harper and he just loved it! We started it around the end of May and finished it up last night. I wasn't sure how much he was going to understand but he surprised me and was able to keep up for the most part. There were times when I could tell he wasn't following the story and we'd have to stop so that I could refresh his memory but it was almost always about certain characters that aren't huge parts of the book. (Filch, Mrs. Norris, and Percy were three that he couldn't keep track of.)

Image result for harry potter and the sorcerer's stone images

There were many times he'd stop me as I read to offer his thoughts on what was about to happen and that proved to me that he was understanding the story. He kept trying to figure out why Harry kept seeing a green light and why his scar would hurt as well as why Professor Snape didn't like Harry. His nearly seven year old self loved Hagrid and enjoyed when he gave Dudley a pigs tail. He thought it was funny that Hagrid carried around a little pink umbrella and that he he'd named a three headed dog Fluffy.

I told him that we'd watch the first movie together once we'd finished the book and I think that will be happening tomorrow night. He told me that as I was reading to him he was imagining all of the things I was saying in his mind. I told him that was the beauty of reading! I can't wait to see if what he saw in his mind is close to what the movie portrays.

We wont be starting book 2 any time soon but I do see reading it to him in the future. Tony said he wants to read The Hobbit with him and I have Wonder picked out for our next novel and I'm thinking I'll try to get Dakota to listen as well. I'm not sure she'd old enough but we'll try it out and see.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...