Thursday, September 21, 2017

School Bus Blues

Oh man, where do I even begin!? So much has been going on around here and I haven't blogged in days! Yikes! I've got lots of catching up to do here, so bear with me as we travel back in time and hopefully make it back here to the present before this month is over...

So school is off and running for everyone and getting used to a quiet house has been interesting. There haven't been too many days that I've been alone because my mom flew in last week but she left yesterday morning and today was relatively quiet. I was busy as hell all day but the few moments I did sit down, I heard creaks that I've never noticed before. Nothing scary, just a quiet I'm not quite accustomed to.


This week was a bit of a mess with Dakota in regards to school though. The first day of school and all last week she did great getting on the bus and going to school but Monday morning she flat out refused to get on the bus. I wasn't sure what was going on or what to do so we walked home and talked and it seems like she's just flat worn out. She keeps telling me that school is too long and that she just wants to stay home so I'm thinking this is all just a response to a new (tougher) schedule. I drove her to school Monday morning and she hopped out of the van just fine. I heard her say hello to a teacher she knew and when he returned her hello with a "Good Morning!" and a giant smile she seemed to have a little pep in her step.

I was a little worried if she'd break down once inside the school but I didn't wait around to find out. I e-mailed her teacher to let her know we'd had a bit of trouble that morning and her teacher e-mailed me right back to let me know that she'd given Dakota a little pep-talk and that she was fine.

I was a little anxious Tuesday morning but hoped that Monday had just been a fluke. It wasn't. Tuesday was met with more crying and more resistance and even a threat from her that even if I drove her she wasn't getting out of the car. So, I did what any reasonable parent would do and I picked her butt up and hauled her onto the bus, kicking and screaming. I put her down once on the bus and ordered her to give me a kiss and find a seat before heading off the bus and willing the driver to hurry up and close the door! She wasn't happy and I felt terrible but if this was some show of power I've gotta let her know that the power remains with me.

Again I e-mailed the teacher and was met with the same response.

Wednesday and today she got on the bus without fighting or tears and for that, I'm thankful. I think the adjustment to full days at school is going to be tough for her but I know she's ready and it's just going to take time.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...