Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day at the Hirshhorn

Tony let me sleep in both days this weekend. Usually we each get a day but he let me sleep in on his regular day because we were going to be heading out early on Mother's Day. Not only did the sweetheart let me sleep in but he also made me WAFFLES. Homemade, with lots of love, waffles. Seriously, people, that IS LOVE.


After stuffing ourselves with those glorious waffles we spent our day strolling around DC. Our first stop was at the Hirshhorn museum.


These are a few of the sculptures we saw as we walked towards the museum entrance.


My scrapbook loving heart loved this one! Just look at those stamps! 


Zoe called this one, "Sack Race". Haha! It really does look like they're having a sack race!


Harper wondered if the person driving this car was able to get out...


So I put the bug in my family's ear that I'd like to get downtown to try it out and let them plan from there. We ended up meeting bright and early (9:45 am) in the Ronald Reagan building parking garage. When we came outside it was raining a bit and we had a ways to walk. Just as I was starting to get grumpy from the rain and cold we got to our first destination which was the Hirshhorn museum. It's free to get in (huge plus!) and there are three floors to explore. The ladies at the front desk suggested we begin at the top of the museum and work our way down to the basement level, so that's what we did.

The very first sculpture we came across inside the building was this guy. Now, if I hadn't told you this was a sculpture you might have mistaken it for a close up of a man inside the museum. He totally creeped us out with his realness.

 

I won't even try to guess how long Harper and Dakota stared at this poor guys nekkidness, but it was an unreasonable amount of time. Bizarre how real he looks though, huh? Look at the creases in the skin on his knees! And the vein in his forearm! So cool. 


You know you're old when a projector is art yet you remember using them frequently when you went to school:


Landon was reading a little of this and then said "this isn't even in English, why am I trying to read it" and walked away. He isn't entirely wrong...


This next little piece of "art" is a cart that was used to transport art and is now the subject itself. I mean, it's like these artist's aren't even trying. 


Pants and wires. I liked it's shape and thought it'd go great on my "V" wall here at home.


"the neighbors were suspicious of her hairstyle" 

What in the actual eff? Zoe, Landon and I really tried to figure it out but just felt stupid in the end.


What my kitchen floor looks like after the kids come in from playing in the backyard "art".


Seascapes. So photo's of sea and sky without humans or any landscapes. Zoe and I liked these.


This one was weird and we were definitely intrigued.



After this we headed down a level and it was all about the time period from 1979-1989. I'm not going to explain all of this, just do your best, like we did.



Ok, so there is a story behind this can of Ajax. Zoe's Opa (Matt's dad) used to call my friend and I Comet and Ajax. I don't know which one I was, but I immediately thought of that when I saw this exhibit! Made me laugh!


Harper called this one "musical toots".





It was getting close to lunch at this point so we headed out to find some food, but we saw this cool thing on our way out:


And, we hadn't realized there was a face on that big rock on the car earlier!


We ended up having lunch at Potbelly The food was okay but the service was pretty bad. We didn't want to spend a ton on lunch because we'd planned to eat at B Too for an early dinner and knew it was going to be pricey. (We never did make it though because we were all too tired from walking and ended up cancelling our reservation and going home!) Oh well! Another time, I hope.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...