Friday, May 18, 2018

Milk Bar City Center DC

Last weekend, for Mother's Day, we didn't actually go into the city just to visit the Hirshhorn. We really went because I'd seen a show on Netflix called Chef's Table which is a documentary style show that profiles a chef in each episode. The first episode I watched featured Christina Tosi and her story captivated me! I just loved how she combined her childhood love of cereal with her adult love of baking and built an empire called Milk Bar.

When I found out that there was a Milk Bar (actually 2) in DC I told the kids it was where I wanted to go for Mother's Day. I love living between DC and Baltimore for this very reason! Abundance of activity and things to see for the win!


There was a short line when we arrived which gave us a minute to look at the menu but I had a really hard time deciding what to get. I ended up ordering a slice of birthday cake and a slice of chocolate malt cake. (I really wanted to order some of the cookies and a piece crack pie, but I didn't want to eat all that when we had a really early dinner reservation, so I held back.) 

Birthday Cake 

 

Chocolate Malt Cake


The cake slices were good, but unfortunately, nothing to write home about. The kids devoured the chocolate slice but I didn't find it especially great. Tony and I split the birthday cake slice and let everyone else in our group try it, but again, it wasn't that special. The cakes were moist and had good flavor but I guess I expected to be blown away and I just wasn't.


Would I go back to Milk Bar? Absolutely! I would really like to try some of the other offerings but I would not go back for those two slices of cake. (Zoe got herself a salted caramel soft serve which was REALLY salty, in my opinion. She seemed to like it though. Brandon got himself some sort of iced coffee, I think. I never did ask if he liked it!)

As I mentioned, we had early dinner reservations at B Too, a restaurant in DC that I found out about through an Instagrammer I follow. The restaurant features belgian inspired dishes but the real reason I wanted to go was because of the dofflebomb they offer for dessert! Unfortunately, we never made it to B Too because 1) we were stuffed from Milk Bar and 2) we were exhausted from all the walking we'd done. Zoe cancelled our reservation per my request but I have no doubt we'll go back to the city sometime to try that place. I really need a doffle in my life at some point! :) 



No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...