Monday, November 5, 2018

Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls

Last night, when the kids were trying to find something for me to read to them before bed, Harper pulled out Dakota's copy of Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls. It's a book about women throughout history and how they grew up and/or why they are remarkable. There are many, many women represented from all over the world and honestly, most of them I've never heard of, which is terrible because all of them are awesome in their own way.

After reading about a few of the women Harper asked why the book only had women in it and I explained that women are consistently underrepresented in text and this book was a way for us to see important accomplishments that women have made in the world. He actually agreed with me and said that he felt like he knew about more important men than women. (This boy is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!) While I love that Dakota is reading about these women I'm equally happy to see Harper enjoying their stories and seeing their value!

This morning, Dakota woke up ahead of her alarm (thanks for NOTHING Daylight Savings) and I told her she could read quietly in her room until her alarm went off at 7. When I went up to check on her, this is how I found her:



Some of the material in these books is a little above her level and I have to explain some of it to her but I'm hoping that she gets the message that she is just as valuable as her male counterparts.





No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...