Thursday, December 1, 2011

Seventeen Years

IMG_0081

Today the little baby girl that made me a mother turned 17 years old. Seven. Teen. It’s been quite a ride these past 17 years, but that girl makes me proud every single day. If you were to judge my parenting skills solely on the character of my daughter, you’d think I was a genius...but, really, it’s all her. She’s strong, independent, smart as hell, loving, thoughtful and beautiful.She’s so much more than I could have ever dreamed for and I’m excited to see where she goes in this life.

IMG_0086

Celebrating 17 was quite a bit different than every year leading up to this one. There is no birthday party, no friends coming over with gifts and sleeping bags. There wasn’t even cake. This year was just a simple celebration. One with hundreds of Facebook salutations, I Love You texts and birthday hugs. A few gifts from us, 2 sweaters and some cash for tomorrows trip to NYC. A cute bracelet made from ribbon and soda pop tabs that Landon picked out and purchased at a craft fair. Boots from Aunt TT, A new iPhone 4s from the Gowin family, a new case for her phone from Meme and Papa, and some more spending money from her Mema. Zoe’s birthday dinner was spent at Fuji Steakhouse, a Japanese restaurant where they grill the food tableside, her choice.

IMG_0095

It was a nice birthday even though it was very low key. If anything, I hope Zoe realizes that no matter how small the celebration, she is so incredibly special to us. I’m sure she probably would have had more fun if she’d have spent the evening hanging out with her friends, but she’ll never find a group of people that love her nearly as much as we do.

I Love You, Zoe Rochelle, and don’t you forget that no matter how old you get, you’ll always be my baby.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...