Thursday, December 20, 2012


Today was quite a day. I got up late. Then, while looking for something to wear, I closed a drawer and a painting fell over knocking off the 3 glass picture frames we were given at our wedding 12 years ago. None of them shattered, but they are all chipped and scratched.

Dakota was happy initially, but things went downhill starting around 9am, her normal nap time. So, after lots of crying an general grumpiness, I decided to pack the kids in the car and go to the store with the hopes that Kota would fall asleep…which she did.

We ended up at Target. I brought the stroller in so that both kids could be in that instead of a cart, and since I was only getting a thing or two, I figured I’d just use a hand basket. We shopped, but when we were getting ready to leave, I remembered we needed toilet paper…and it wasn’t going to fit in the hand basket. I grabbed an abandoned cart, transferred my stuff and then pulled the cart behind me while I pushed the stroller. Maneuvering the two massive vehicles was easy as long as I didn’t have to make any corners…so, really it wasn’t easy at all. As I was heading back through the aisle maze I was telling Harper that it just wasn’t easy pushing the stroller and pulling the cart and he said “I have an idea!”. I asked him what it was and he said he was going to help me push.

Hmm. I thought he’d want to get out of the stroller to “help” but he just reached his little hands out and grabbed the cart. I was then able to push the stroller while he pulled the cart along. I thought it was brilliant, and couldn’t believe that my little two year old came up with that idea on his own!

Once we got up to the register, I emptied everything out of the cart and while the guy started to ring everything up, I went to grab my wallet…only my wallet wasn’t in my diaper bag. It was at home. I asked the cashier to please hold onto my stuff and that I’d come back to get it later, and after getting a manager to okay it, that’s what he did.

So, the babies and I head back to the van (Dakota’s nap is long over by now) and after getting everyone back in their seats and buckled, I got in and took and deep breath and said out loud “Lord I need a break”. A second later Harper says “Crrrraaaaaaaaccckkkk! There mama, I gave you a break!” Seriously. He totally said that. I laughed so hard I had tears. What kind of brilliant two year old do I have? I mean really?!

I had to ask Tony something so I called him from my cell on the way home. (Hands free of course! He was on speaker and everyone in the van could hear him!) I was telling him that I’d had a pretty rough morning, and that I was really just having a bad day when Harper chimed in “No mama, you’re not having a bad day, it’s a nice day!” and then when he heard me tell Tony that I needed a break Harper yelled from the backseat “Oh no you don’t! I already gave you one!”.

And you know what? I didn’t have a bad day…it was nice. It was nice because Harper made me see things differently. He made me laugh. He gave me a big hug and kiss too, just because I asked. And, when I told him I loved him, he told me he loved me too.

But, he isn’t the only reason.

Zoe saw that I was having a rough day and when she heard the dryer bell ding, she went up and folded my laundry for me. Without being asked or even telling me she was doing it. She also finished up the mac and cheese I started cooking for the kids’ lunch and read Harper a book and sang him songs so that I could get Dakota down for a nap. She also stayed with the babies while I ran back up to Target…and, I think those are all signs of love.

Landon got up this morning, got all of his stuff done and then finished reading the book he had to get done for school. Without being asked. He also kindly offered to sit with the two littles while I took a 4 second shower. And, he told me all about the fun he had at the special fundraiser activity that he attended after school today. And, he told me he loved me.

Dakota had a rough start this morning, but after she finally got a nap, she was back to her usual self. She smiled at me and talked to me. She happily played in her seat while I washed her bottles. She drooled all over my shoulder…and I think that’s the same as love.

And, Tony came home. I always have a sense of relief when he gets here. I know that I’ll finally be able to breathe a little and that he’ll help with the madness that is our life. We juggled babies and dinner. We had a good discussion at the dinner table with Landon. We caught each other up on the days happenings….and I would say, that too, is love.

No comments:

Water Balloons

When my kids told me they didn't know what to do with themselves yesterday I suggested they go outside and play with the water balloons....