Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Washing off the Sick

When Harper got sick in bed the other night, he got a little of his “sick” on a few of the stuffed animals that sleep with him. I didn’t want to toss them all because he really likes them, so I decided to try to wash them in the washing machine to see how they’d turn out.

Some 100 years ago I’d read that if you washed stuffed toys in the washer, you should first put them in pillowcases, then just toss them in. (Somehow I can’t remember most of what yesterday, but that tidbit of information popped into my head after having read it 100 years ago. Go figure.)  I never questioned why you’d put them in pillowcases but I learned why yesterday…

2013-01-16 002 2013-01-16 001

It isn’t so obvious in the above photo, but if you look closely, you’ll see a difference in the two horses. (Other than their color!!) Check out their manes…

Exhibit A

2013-01-16 002 2013-01-16 005

Exhibit B

2013-01-16 002 2013-01-16 004

Exhibit A escaped its pillowcase. Exhibit B remained in its pillowcase. See the difference?

Now, the bad part is that I’m not sure whether exhibit A’s mane was destroyed in the washer or dryer. When I opened the wash machine, I realized it was out of the case, but because I was in a hurry, I didn’t notice if the hair was already matted like that or not. And, because I was in a hurry, I didn’t put it back in the pillow case, I just tossed it in with the rest of the wash to dry. Oops.

Luckily for me, Harper didn’t notice. Tony and I laughed a little about how silly it looks, but Harper just said “Yay! You washed off my sick!”.

I guess what I’m getting at is that I’m still learning something new every day, even at the ripe old age of 36.

Unfortunately, for me, it’s almost always the hard way.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...