Sunday, August 18, 2013

PB&J Party (Harper’s 3rd)

IMG_1849

We had Harper’s birthday party yesterday. He wanted a peanut butter and jelly party so peanut butter and jelly it was…

We hung purple and white balloons upside down in the entrances instead of worrying about helium and all that. These were just out of the two littles reach so they stayed pretty nice looking. :)

IMG_1809

We had some peanut and peanut free snacks out for people to munch on, as well as a few party horns and masks to play with.

IMG_1814

I made the Happy Birthday banner and some big peanuts to decorate the mirror and doorway. (Birthday is cut off in the pic, it’s hanging on the buffet.) I also decorated some old frappuccino bottles for the strawberry/ chocolate milk. I found some cool paper straws at Home Goods and popped one in each bottle. (That strawberry milk looks like Pepto Bismol, doesn’t it? Yuck!)

IMG_1818

IMG_1828

I wanted there to be a lot of choices for the sandwiches so I set out 5 jellies and three “butters”. We had apple, peach, strawberry, raspberry and grape jelly as well as Nutella, Sunbutter and regular peanut butter. Zoe came up with the idea to cut the bread into quarters so that people could mix and match the jellies and butters as much as they wanted. It was a great idea and everyone really enjoyed experimenting with the different flavors. There was very little of anything left…but the sunbutter was definitely a HUGE hit!

Since the main food was sandwiches, I just put out some cups of fruit and chips to go with them. (I used some scrapbooking supplies to cut out strawberries and the word grapes for the cups.)

IMG_1825

Once everyone was done eating we got the masks out to take some pictures. I was hoping to get group pictures, but somehow everyone just ended up taking turns…

Zoe:

IMG_1856

Landon:

IMG_1857

Brandon:

IMG_1859

Mema:

IMG_1860

Uncle Chris:

IMG_1863

The Birthday Boy:

IMG_1866

IMG_1873

Tony:

IMG_1875

Aunt Martha:

IMG_1876

Lauren:

IMG_1886

Aunt Lori:

IMG_1888

Lea:

IMG_1898

Me:

IMG_1894

When I looked up a peanut butter and jelly cake I wasn’t sure what I’d find, but I knew I’d hit the jackpot when I saw a cake that I thought was a sandwich. Behold the PB&J cake:

IMG_1900

Looks like the real deal, doesn’t it? If you ever want to make this type of cake, you can find the recipe here. The recipe is super simple and as you can see, it turns out looking exactly as you’d imagine a sandwich to look. (He’d just been out jumping on the trampoline, hence the RED cheeks!)

IMG_1909

Harper could NOT understand that this was a cake and not a sandwich. He kept picking it up with his hands to eat it…it was pretty funny. He’d also requested his (new) favorite ice cream, mint chocolate chip, and as you can see from the pic below, he enjoyed it first! :)

IMG_1911

I’d say the party ended up being a wonderful success. He loved all the attention and was super excited about opening his gifts. He kept telling Mema that he didn’t need help opening them, even when he was having a difficult time opening them up. When I asked him if he’d had fun at his party he said “Yeah, I loved it!”.

Music to my ears.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...