Saturday, January 18, 2014

They’re On The Mend

I started my day with a trip to the dentist. I had no sooner gotten home from the dentist and had to pack Dakota into the van to get her to the doctor. My poor girl just didn’t seem right and I felt like I had to get to the doctor even if he told me there wasn’t anything he could do about it. I just thought I’d feel better if I knew there wasn't anything to be done rather than guess.

I’m glad I trusted my gut on this one. It turns out she has some kind of fever blister virus. It likely started with one in her mouth (that I didn’t see or know about) and eventually spread to the outside of her mouth. She has several on her lips now, maybe five, and they are terribly painful. You know how bad it is to have one, just imagine a mouthful. She’s been rubbing her hand across the sores so she also has a couple on the top of her hand, and a few spots on her face. She even has one on her eyelid.

The doctor took a swab of the ones in and around her mouth and is sending them to the lab for testing. Kota didn’t like having that done, poor thing. I’m sure it hurt. The doctor was also concerned about her having the spot on her eyelid because he thought it was possible it could have gotten in her eye, so he had to do a test for that too. He took a litmus strip coated in iodine and rubbed on the inner part of her eye so that he could then hold up a black light to see if there were any streaks left from the iodine.There wasn’t which meant that the virus hadn’t gotten in her eyes. He said that this particular virus could cause blindness if left untreated. Freaky, huh?

He did send us home with a prescription to help with the cold sores, and she was up and playing around this evening after only 2 doses. Here are the two crazies pulling my couch apart to make their own little indoor trampoline. I’m just glad they’re getting back to being themselves.

IMG_8008

She and Harper do seem to be getting better and like I said, they were playful this evening. Both of them are eating again as well, so things seem to be getting better. I am so thankful!

                                                                                                                        

Zoe stayed home from work today because she woke up running a fever. My house is definitely not people friendly at the moment. While she wasn’t well this morning and afternoon, she does seem to be much better this evening and plans to go to work in the morning. Now I’ve just got to keep my fingers crossed that the rest of us don’t get sick. I’ve got way too much to do to not feel well!

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...