Monday, April 21, 2014

Sports Camp: Lacrosse

IMG_9804

So today’s sport was lacrosse. This is one sport that I know very little about, but I do know that it sure looks tough to play. The coach seemed very optimistic about it though, so I figured it couldn’t be all that bad. The class started out with the coach showing the kids how to hold the stick. He told them where to put their hands and showed them that they were supposed to keep it in an upright position close to their face, but no matter how many times it was demonstrated or they were reminded, that stick inevitable fell to their sides. I guess it was probably just awkward for them to hold it up the way it’s supposed to. Next they were each given a ball and told to walk around with it without dropping it. Then came running the court with it without dropping it.

Once they were able to maneuver around the court without dropping it too much, they played a round of red light, green light, which they really enjoyed.

They were then taught how to hold the stick and throw the ball out of the basket. Harper really liked doing that part as did the rest of the kids.

The last part of the class was the toughest and it was about picking up the ball without using their hands, a lacrosse rule. They were shown how to use the side of their foot as a stopper to scoop the ball or how to pop the ball up with their stick to scoop it up. It was really tough for all of them and I’m not sure any of them were able to do it. Harper tried a few times and then came to me for help. I showed him how to do it and assisted him the best I could, but ultimately he couldn’t do it and became frustrated. He was pretty much done with the whole thing at that point and wouldn’t join the rest of the group to try taking shots on goal, but it was only about the last five minutes of class and he wasn’t crying, just refused to try anymore, so I let it go.

I guess it’s safe to say that lacrosse wasn’t his favorite but he did his best and I can’t really ask for more than that. Two weeks left…

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...