Saturday, August 15, 2015

Harper’s 5th Birthday Party

We celebrated Harper's 5th birthday last weekend. Colin, Harper’s friend from preschool, has a birthday very close to his so his mom and I decided to throw the boys' party together. We had a Lego/pool theme; both boys love Lego and it's August so the pool is always a good idea! We were able to use our community’s pool for the party which was really convenient.

IMG_3934

Lisa and I each made some of the party décor and we each made our own child’s cake. We served hot dogs (Tony grilled them right before the party and we kept them warm in a crock pot) popcorn and pretzels with lemonade and ice water to wash it down.

IMG_3878

Lisa made the cute little goodie bags and decorated the yellow cups with Lego people faces. She also put together a couple Lego inspired banners and made a “5” sign using Lego’s, of course!

IMG_0364

IMG_3886

IMG_3881

Lisa made these cute little Lego treats with marshmallows! Adorable and so tasty!

IMG_3939

I gave Landon the chore of making a cute napkin/fork/spoon holder. I kind of gave him direction and he carried it out. I love how it turned out…and the Happy Birthday was a great touch!

IMG_3885

While Landon was working on the Lego thingy above, I was busy making Lego shaped crayons:

IMG_0301

IMG_0306

And little coloring books to go with them:

(The Lego coloring book cover wasn’t my personal design. I found it on Pinterest and the original can be found here.)

IMG_0316

Here are the cakes:

Lisa’s cake for Colin

IMG_0374

My cake for Harper

IMG_0373

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dearest Harper…Happy Birthday to you! Make a wish…

IMG_3942

I thought both cakes were so cute! I loved making Harper’s. It was fun to be a little creative with it. It was just a simple cake mix with a can of white frosting, but the little Lego men and banner dressed it right up. I ordered the molds for the crayons on Amazon and the box came with three different molds. Since I only used the one mold for the crayons I thought I’d make little chocolate men to go around the cake. I found yellow melting chocolates at Michaels and they were super easy to make.

IMG_3887

IMG_3893

IMG_3895

IMG_3918

IMG_3898

IMG_3914

IMG_3908

IMG_3911

IMG_3925

The party was from 11-1pm and it was the perfect amount of time. Landon said he thought it was too short but I think the timing was good. It wasn’t that warm out and after everyone had cake they didn’t really seem interested in getting back in the water. (We also committed to a bbq later that afternoon so we needed a little time to get ready in between.) We had a great time and I thought everything worked out pretty smoothly.

I’ll do a separate post on Harper opening his gifts since this is so long!

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...