Sunday, September 6, 2015

Speech Therapy

Dakota had her very first speech session this past Friday. Her appointment was at 11:30am so we just hung out at home until it was time to go. I did my best to prepare her that she’d have to talk and do as the speech lady asked, but she was very resistant and nervous, and she clung to me for the first ten minutes we were there. The meeting is only half an hour so losing ten minutes kind of sucks.

The teacher and I did our best to coax Dakota into participating but it wasn’t until she mentioned playing a game on the iPad that Dakota began to perk up. The game was one where Dakota had to match letters to one another to build a word, such as cat, dog or boat. She was to match the word then say the word listening and repeating the beginning sounds.

When that game was over she got to listen to a song all about the letter B. The song was one on ABC Mouse’s site and it happens to be something she is very familiar with since we have it at home. She listened to the song twice while the teacher pointed out the sound the B made.

The next thing the teacher did was pull out a book. I can’t remember the name of it but it was all about little piggies. The book counted ten little piggies and described different things the pigs were doing. Dakota really liked the book and when the teacher asked her questions she answered, which is a big step for Dakota.

When we’d finished the book our time was up and it was time for us to go. I’d promised Dakota a lollypop if she cooperated and I felt that she’d done far better than I’d hoped for, so she got her prize. The teacher suggested we come up with a sticker reward chart for her speech therapy and once she’d earned her stickers she’d get a prize. I thought it was a great idea and I’m really hoping it’ll inspire Dakota to participate more fully.

I’m eager to see how this pans out for her and I’m hoping that the addition of preschool helps her become more confident when I’m not around. I feel like her clinginess has really become a detriment to her and I want her to feel happy and secure even when I’m not in arms reach. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...