Monday, February 22, 2016

Sunny Monday

It was back to the doctor today with little Kota. She's just not been the same in what seems like an eternity now. I had originally scheduled a check up for her at 2 pm today but when she started running a fever again this weekend I knew I'd want to get her in asap today instead. So, I called as soon as they opened and we were able to see a doctor at 10 am instead. The doctor confirmed that she had yet another ear infection (her third consecutive). I almost cried. The doctor told me that I'd need to take Dakota to see an ENT once she'd finished this round of meds to see what our next steps would be. Maybe tubes, maybe something else...I just don't know. The more I talk to people about it the more options there seem to be. Long term meds, specific meds, chiropractors...the list goes on. This time she's on Zithromax and I'm hoping it'll finally knock it out.

Dakota took this picture of Harper and I while we waited for the doctor.

And this one of herself...

After going to the doctor we drove over to see Zoe and the kitties for a little bit. Harper's been asking to go back to play with the cats and since there was no school today, it was a good opportunity. One time when we went to Zoe's (just Kota and I) Zoe had some left over donuts and she let Dakota have one. Now, every time we go, Dakota asks if she has donuts. So today before we got there Zoe stopped at Dunkin Donuts and picked up a couple donuts for the kids. So sweet! And, better yet, she grabbed me a hot chocolate too! I thought that was just the sweetest thing and it really brightened an otherwise dreary morning.

The kids and I grabbed some lunch at Chick Fil A (their fave) and then we finally headed home. It was about 12:30 when we got home and I had just enough time to get Dakota down for a nap before I had to meet Harper's teacher for a conference. Thankfully Mema came over to stay with the kids because with Dakota being sick I knew she'd really need a nap to make it through the day. The conference went well and I learn a lot every time I go see his teacher. This time I learned that
1) Harper is a chatterbox 2) he is progressing slowly but surely in reading 3) he likes to "argue" with his good friend Abigail (they sit at the same table) 4) he and his friend Ahmed talk and play too much and while they sit at the same table, they won't be much longer 5) he needs a little work on impulse control as he likes to touch/bump/nudge people 6) he's got a lot of friends in class and gets along well with all of the kids. So, he has some things to work on, but don't we all?

This afternoon the sun was shining and I was out of ideas about what to do in the house so I grabbed boots and jackets and the kids and I went out into the back yard for awhile. It was nice to get outside for a bit and both of their little faces seemed to perk up. There was a lot of smiling and laughing and running and playing and was a nice half hour.

While we were out Harper spotted a bug on the side of the shed. He asked me if he could hold it and I told him to go for it. He was feeling pretty brave with his mittens on I guess. He held that bug the entire time we were outside. He climbed up the rock wall with it, he went down the slide with it, and he even blasted away a few bad guys while keeping that little bug safe and sound in his hand. When we went inside he made sure to find it a safe place to stay on our deck. I love his big heart. 

Water Balloons

When my kids told me they didn't know what to do with themselves yesterday I suggested they go outside and play with the water balloons....