Monday, February 15, 2016

Valentine's Day Dinner 2016



Tony made reservations at Roy's of Baltimore for this years Valentine's day dinner. We went the night before Valentine's Day to avoid the throngs of people on Sunday night. The city was busy but the restaurant wasn't too crowded when we got there. Our reservation was for 5:15 pm since we are used to eating early and we needed to be back in time to get the kids in bed. Roy's is considered "Hawaiian fusion" and while I don't really know exactly what that means, the food was very good!

There were several choices for each of the four courses and Tony and I had no trouble picking what we wanted. After consulting with our waiter about the best appetizers, I went with something I'd never tried before, Swarnadwipa Hawaiian Tuna. The description read "saffron tomato broth - candied beets". What the hell that means, I don't know, but it was pretty good. I'm always a little scared by anything that looks under cooked and the tuna looked fresh from the sea, but I ate it and didn't die...and I think I even liked it a little. I'll admit though that I was a bit turned off by the texture and the fact that it didn't really cut nicely...it just kind of tore apart roughly like raw meat would.
So yeah. Tony, on the other hand ordered Tequila Marinated Chilled Shrimp. Shrimp is one of my favorites but I was ordering shrimp as my main course so I didn't want to over do it. The description for the shrimp appetizer was "wasabi lime cocktail sauce - avocado- tostones". What the hell is a tostone? Gotta look that up. He liked his appetizer though so I guess it was good!

We were able to choose either a soup or salad for our next course. After looking over our four choices we both decided on a bowl of lobster bisque. It wasn't what I would think of when I think of lobster bisque, but it was really good! There were some GIGANTIC pieces of lobster in there and that was awesome! There was coconut milk, red curry, and Thai aromatics mixed in with that yummy lobster and it tasted great!

Our main course selections were Crispy Honey Walnut Tiger Shrimp (mine) and Jumbo Lump Crab Crusted Filet Mignon (his). I don't know what the heck was in my food, even after reading the description, (lobster red lentil saute, lup cheong sausage, sweet mustard emulsion) but it was good! Tony's was a little easier to understand: asparagus, butter whipped potatoes and lobster cognac essence...and his was really good, he even let me have a bite! :) There were a few things on our plate that we weren't sure about, like we had no idea what the hell we were eating, but we figured it was food because it was on our plate, so we ate it. There was some nibbling and frowning and "taste this and tell me what it is" moments, but we lived and for the most part enjoyed all of it.

Desert was my favorite part because it involved chocolate. All the options for dessert sounded pretty good, but I just can't pass up a good molten cake...and this one was perfection! Tony chose the same thing which surprised me because one of the other choices was White Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse, and he LOVES him some cheesecake. I mean, I almost went for that instead of the chocolate but then the waiter said he thought the chocolate cake was better and I was sold. I'm easy like that.

Since we were out and all we both decided we should have an adult beverage. I never drink but after weeks of hanging with a sick kid, I was ready to have something. I had a glass of Moscato (and an awful headache afterwards) while Tony had some sort of peach sangria drink which I thought was really good. I liked the wine too, just didn't love the headache afterwards.

It was a nice place and the food was good but I'm not sure it's somewhere I'd want to go again. I felt like it was a little over priced, but that could have been because of the special Valentine's menu. I was also surprised with how many kids were there with their parents with prices as high as they were and the crazy menu, but maybe those kids are used to eating dinner at $80 a plate, who knows. It was really nice to get out of the house for a bit sans kids. Tony and I don't get much time together these days and I feel like we are two ships passing in the night half the time. We really need to make more time for each other.






No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...