Thursday, April 28, 2016

Preschool and a Shopping Trip

I was so looking forward to having a few kid free hours today when Dakota finally went back to school, but it sure didn't turn out that way. Right before leaving my phone rang and when I picked up it was a mom from the preschool. She told me that her husband and son had been in a car accident and she was supposed to be the working parent and she wasn't going to be able to make it. So, I got off the phone with her, grabbed some snacks for the kids and off Dakota and I went to the school. It was a rainy, crappy day outside but inside it was cheerful and playful and fun! The kids worked on their Mother's Day gifts (ADORABLE) and had lots of time to play in the playroom. It was perfect.



When we got home I'd hoped that she'd take a nap, but she had zero interest in that idea. So, while I got a few things done around the house she kept busy with some "homework". She had to cut out letters and put the Tt's on one side of the paper and all the other letters on the other side. She was able to do all of it by herself and I was super impressed! 


She also did a little coloring at school today, all about the letter Tt. She loves to free draw and has never really colored in a coloring book so I was surprised when she spent as much time as she did coloring this little page. I thought it was cool she used different colors for each circle because she'd normally use one, and she did a pretty good job on the whole thing. 



I could tell Harper was going to be a bit of a mess this afternoon as soon as we got home from the bus. He was cranky and crying about things that normally wouldn't bother him and just miserable in general. I had to run to the store for a couple things and decided to take him with me. He was so mad at me for making him go, but once we got in the van and I let him pick his own show to watch, he settled. I told him he'd feel better after going to the store with me and he'd be happier when we got back home. As we got out of the van to go in the store, he said "I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be happier when we get home, mom". I asked him if he thought a hot pretzel and an Icee would help and he said he thought it would! Haha! 


Our little shopping run turned out to be pretty fun. He sat and nibbled on that giant pretzel while I got the things I went for and then we stopped for a few minutes in the video game aisle. He pointed out a few games he thought looked fun and then we looked at the movies and books. He never asked for anything until we got up to check out and he wanted to try a piece of gum. (He's had gum maybe one other time.) So, I bought some gum and he was SOOO excited! He couldn't wait to try it and he ended up loving it! As soon as we got home Dakota flung the door open and said "Mama! Harper!" and he ran up to her and said "Hi, Kota! I just ate gum!" 


His afternoon was pretty good after our shopping trip and it was good to spend a little time listening to my little guy. I wish I could do it more often. 


No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...