Tuesday, September 6, 2016

First Day of Pre-K


I'm ashamed to admit that it's been over a week since Dakota started preschool and I'm just now getting around to blogging about it. As big of a deal as school is and it just didn't happen. I'll blame it on being busy, but it'd be true to say that laziness played a factor as well.

She has her staggered entry (they have three staggered days and only a 1/3 of the class attends on their day to get acquainted with the classroom/teacher) on Monday, August 29th and then went the rest of the week. Her first day was great. She told me she was really excited but a little nervous too. I told her that everyone feels that way about new things and they she'd do great, which she did.


However, her second day was reminiscent of preschool past. She was crying as we got out of the van, crying on the walk up to the door and hanging on my leg crying while we waited for her teacher. It was ugly. But, her teacher helped pry her from my leg (she wasn't the only one crying) and I left as quickly as possible. I felt horrible. But...when I went to get her, she hopped in the car and said "I had a great day! Sorry I cried!" I told her she'd broken my heart when she cried like that and she promised to do better the next day. 

Wednesday came around and I was a bundle of nerves worrying about whether or not she'd cry. She didn't and she had another spectacular day.When she got in the van she asked me how my heart was. It took me a second and then I realized she was referring to my broken heart from the day before. When I told her my heart was feeling better she said "Good! That's cuz' I fixed it!" :)

Thursday's drop off was uneventful but when she got in the car she informed me that she may need to break my heart the next day. I asked why and she said it was because she wanted to be the line leader. She went on to say that whoever cries is chosen to lead the line. I told her I didn't think that was such a good idea and that if she was patient she'd get another turn. She said "Actually, crying IS the way to do it." Haha! Smart girl I have! And, so devious. I'm happy to say she had a change of heart and spared me the drama of crying. She talked about school all weekend and when it came time to go today, she was excited and ready. This year is looking pretty good so far. I mean, we're only a week in, but things are looking good. 



No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...