Thursday, August 31, 2017

Ginger 2001-2017


After 16 wonderful years together, I had to put my girl Ginger to rest today. It was not an easy decision but one I knew was right because of her declining health. She had pretty much lost control of her bowels, was mostly blind and deaf, had trouble walking and was running into and getting stuck beneath furniture. It was difficult to watch to say the least. 

I called her vet yesterday and they were able to squeeze us in today. I'm thankful for that because it was absolute hell knowing this was coming and I don't know if I would have been able to follow through with it if I'd had a few days to second guess myself. 

I knew taking her in was going to be rough but it was much more difficult than I'd imagined. At first I told the vet I didn't want to be in the room but as I sat there I realized I wanted to be with her in her last moments. I wanted her to feel my hand rubbing her ears even if she didn't know it was me. I wanted to be the last loving hand to touch her, to kiss her head and thank her for all the happy years. 

I stuck it out with her to the end and although it was hard, I'm glad I did. 


 




No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...