Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Making a Pinewood Derby Car

Harper has just joined the boy scouts in time to participate in the pinewood derby. We tried to get him involved before Christmas but it was just too hectic so new year, new activity. At a meeting a few weeks ago the boys got an official pinewood derby kit. It's basically a block of wood, some nails and wheels. The boys all met up one afternoon to have their wood cut into car shapes of their choice and then they went home to paint and decorate them.

Tony and Harper worked on the car a bit while I was away scrap booking a few weekends ago but that car was accidentally tossed into the garbage! Oops! Unfortunately it was trash day the next morning so there was no hope in getting it back. So, after a mad scramble between Tony and I we got hold of another derby kit and quickly re-cut, sanded and painted it. Since we were VERY short on time I offered to cut some vinyl decals with my Cricut to help design the car. I bought the whole Do Your Best cartridge and let Harper choose what he wanted me to cut.

We ended up cutting out a wolf paw print (he's in the wolf age division of scouts), his pack number 662, and a howling wolf silhouette (not one of the included images, but one I already had).


Instead of putting his pack number on the car, he wanted his to be #26. Why? Who knows, but it was his car and his choice. The cool wolf I cut out ended up going on the bottom of the car where no one could see it. Also, his choice. 



We got all of that done on Friday afternoon and that evening, while Dakota and I were at Girl Scouts, he and Tony went to the school to set up for the big race the following morning. Talk about cutting it close! 

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...