Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Spring Things

Now that the weather seems to be warming up and we're getting rain instead of snow, we decided it was time to get some yard work started. Tony spent his whole weekend getting things done outside while I did very little to help, unfortunately. Until my neck issues are resolved I'm not much good.


We made two trips to Lowes for plants and accessories and I see many more trips on the horizon. We bought lots of Big Ears Lambs Ear as well as Phlox. I also bought a few more Knock-Out Roses and hope that they'll do better than the other two I have. If they don't I guess it's time to find something else for the area they're in. We grabbed a burning bush and some honeysuckle the last time we were at Sams so those will be planted soon too.



The phlox and lambs ear are going in front of the peony's I have in the backyard. They'll line the sitting wall and hopefully spread throughout that area.





Since we had the patio put in we've been debating what to do about the willow Tony planted. Those trees get gigantic and we're worried it'll destroy the patio. So, the debate was to try to move it further away from the patio or to just cut it down. Well, as luck would have it, this is the year that tree really started looking nice and we just didn't have the heart to cut it down. So, Tony did his best to dig it up and replant it. It's now in a back corner closer to the fence line. Fingers crossed it lives! We'd like to put a few crepe myrtle trees back there too but didn't find any at Lowes this weekend.

It's kind of hard to see in the photo below but you can see it's back in the corner away from the patio now. 


The kids played outside nearly all day Saturday and the majority of Sunday as well. They were catching bugs (mostly bees) with their butterfly nets. They were making up all kinds of names for them and examining them and then letting them go. I guess it's only a matter of time before one of them is stung. (I didn't get any pictures! What the hell?!) Dakota got a new pair of gardening gloves so she couldn't wait to help with the yard work. And, she really did help! She filled bird feeders and helped clean the picnic table off as well as whatever little jobs Tony could come up with.



She was pretty tired from all that work by mid afternoon and I found her on the swing resting. 


Harper had no interest in helping with the yard work, gloves or no gloves! He stayed in the house making a book, happy as can be!



No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...