Friday, July 6, 2018

What's Missing?

It's been a very eventful week for Harper and his baby teeth! He had a loose top tooth for a week or two and it finally got wiggly enough that he decided he'd had enough and he pulled it out on Tuesday. When he pulled it out there was a rather large blood clot left behind and he was simultaneously embarrassed and disgusted by it. He kept his top lip firmly tucked on top of his upper teeth when he was talking so that no one could see it and so that his tongue wouldn't accidentally brush against it. It was effective but made it kind of hard to understand what he was saying. I assured him that it would slowly shrink away and it was mostly gone the same afternoon. By midday on July 4th he was talking regularly and the blood clot was gone.


Fast forward to last night, July 5th. I was helping him out of the shower and we were talking and somehow, in some weird unfortunate accident, his other top tooth got hung on the ring I was wearing and when I moved my arm away, it nearly pulled his tooth out. That tooth wasn't wiggly, at all, and I know because just about 10 minutes before this happened I asked him to let me see if it was wiggly. I thought it might be a little loose since the other tooth wasn't next to it but when I checked there wasn't any wiggle. There was lots of crying and blood and the tooth was barely hanging on but it hurt too much for him to let me just help him pull it out. He went back to using his top lip to cover the painful tooth and spare us from seeing the hideous dangle. By some stroke of luck he didn't swallow it in his sleep.

He went all morning with his tooth aching (breakfast, swim lessons, playing at home) and lightly bleeding, poor kid. At lunch time I was joking around with him and told him that I bet if he pushed his tongue against the back of it while making a weird noise his tooth would pop out. I said it'd probably shoot across the room and you can only imagine our surprise when he did push on it with his tongue and it popped out! It didn't shoot across the room but it landed right on his tongue! He started to gag and then laugh and Dakota stood there with a look of horror on her face. I was thankful that it worked so that he'd be able to eat and talk normally again!


I forgot how absolutely adorable kids are when they're missing those two front teeth! Of course after I got the cute picture he had to do some silly one's as well...


That's his hand pulling his lip up like that, not mine!



So he's up to 4 lost baby teeth now. He's a bit behind his friends but I suppose if things keep going like they have been he'll catch up in no time. :)


No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...