Sunday, October 14, 2018

Gymnastics 10/8

I felt like I was taking a real leap of faith when I signed Harper up to do gymnastics. He'd played a single season of both soccer and t-ball and neither of them really connected for him. It wasn't that he couldn't do what was required, he just flat out had no interest. He was 100% the kid picking flowers, chasing bugs and helping all the other kids lose focus so we knew it wasn't the right fit.  

But, as I sat and watched Dakota enjoying her gymnastics classes I began to notice a group of boys traveling the floor and began to wonder if it would be a fit for Harper. After noticing them the first time I kept a lookout for them each week and began to feel more confident that he too would enjoy what they were doing. I mean, Harper LOVES a good obstacle course (which is basically what they're all doing) and while he may not be great at every task given, he's willing to try and give it his best shot. He's doing what he's told (only messing around when he thinks I'm not watching) and while it's still new and a bit confusing to him at times, he's working to the best of his ability. He's learning how to use muscles he's never used before. He's learning to listen to adults tell him how to use his body in ways he hasn't tried before. He's learning that he is capable. 

Tomorrow will be his 6th lesson and I can already see change. When we go to gymnastics he's enthusiastic and is always eager to line up to go in. While he's on the floor I can tell that he's listening and doing the required skill to the best of his ability. When it's time to go, he's very happy and talks about what they did that night with what sounds like pride. Last week he even admitted to really liking gymnastics and I have to admit that it made me breathe a huge sigh of relief. 

 

I grabbed this photo of him on the rings because it's his least favorite activity; he says it really hurts his hands. He's not strong enough in his core (yet) to pull his legs to his chest while hanging which is why his teacher is holding him the way she is, but I am going to continue watching with the hopes that one day he'll be able to do this on his own. I just know he'll be able to do it as long as he tries, which is really all that I ask. If he loves it too, then that'll just be a bonus.

No comments:

April Fools Pranks

The two little kids made me laugh yesterday morning.  I was upstairs getting things ready for school when I heard them talking about how ...